What’s not to love about carrots? They are low in calories yet full of sweet flavor, pack a powerful crunch, and provide an ample dose of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A once consumed. Vitamin A is essential after a workout because it aids in repairing the microtears that occur in muscles when strained.
This salad meanwhile, combines carrots with pineapple, a fruit rich in bromelain and papain. These enzymes simultaneously help with the breakdown of proteins and have anti-inflammatory properties that expedite post-workout recovery.
Best of all, this dish comes together quickly and travels well, so you can whip it up after a sweat session or throw it in your gym bag for a healthy meal on the go!
Shredded Carrot Salad
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
- 4 large carrots
- 2 slices pineapple, chopped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the outer skin of the carrots and discard. Continue shaving the carrots in long strands until you can no longer move the peeler through them. Chop any remaining pieces of carrot to include in the salad.
- Combine the strands with the pineapple, orange zest and juice, and toss.
- Top with sea salt and parsley. The longer you allow the salad to sit, the more the carrots will break down and become softer.
What are your favorite carrot recipes?